This dish is a favourite in our house. We have used bone in, skin on chicken and also the boneless, skinless chicken. The choice is up to you. It would also be a dish you could cook in a slow cooker instead of the oven. We serve this over brown rice and have Cornmeal Muffins with it.
- 1 1/2 teas oregano
- 1 1/2 teas marjoram
- 1 1/2 teas dry mustard
- 1/2 teas salt
- 1/2 teas pepper
- 1/2 teas cumin
- 1/4 teas cayenne
- 4 chicken breasts or 8 thighs
- 3 Italian sausages (mild or spicy)
- 1 tbls olive oil
- 2 carrots, cut in large coins
- 1 large onion, large dice
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes(preferably San Marzano plum tomatoes)
- handful fresh parsley roughly chopped
- Brown rice cooked according to package directions
- In a skillet over medium heat add the oil and brown the sausages. They do not have to be cooked through just browned on the outside. They will finish cooking in the casserole. Remove to paper towel. Slice into 1″ chucks and add to a oven proof casserole or dutch oven.
- If using chicken breasts cut in half. Combine the rub in a bowl and add the chicken pieces rolling in the rub to coat. Add to the skillet using more oil if needed. Brown on both sides and put in the casserole with the sausages. They do not have to cooked through just browned on the outside. They will finish cooking in the casserole.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add the carrots, onion and garlic to the skillet. Stir fry it for about 5 minutes. Add the juice off the tomatoes and scrape up the brown bits on the bottom of the skillet. Add this to the casserole along with the tomatoes from the can. Let everything get nice an hot while the oven is coming up to temperature.
- Bake 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve over brown rice.