These burgers are a great way to get some more fish in your diet They can be served in a bun with a bit of tartar sauce or along side a salad. They are cost effective using canned salmon, rice and pantry staples. We have used dried dill when fresh is not available. The kind of cheese is a personal choice but some recommendations would be a mild cheddar cheese, gouda or havarti. They also freeze well but we usually don’t pan fry the ones which are put in the freezer.
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 213g can wild salmon
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tbls onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cheese, grated
- 1 tbls fresh dill, finely chopped
- 3 -4 grinds freshly ground pepper
- Cook brown rice according to package directions and let cool to room temperature.
- Drain canned salmon and remove skin and any large bones. Do not worry about the small bones as they will disintegrate. Place in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl along with the rice. Stir to combine.
- Shape into 6 patties. Pan fry in a bit of olive oil over low heat until golden brown and firm.