This recipe is a combination of my Mother and my Mother-in-law’s recipes for turkey stuffing. My Mother made her stuffing with bread crumbs, onions, lard and Newfoundland Mt. Scio Savoury. My Mother-in-law made hers with very little bread but lots of mashed potatoes, vegetable shortening and Nova Scotia Summer Savory. We added a few things to make it ours and used both the bread and the potatoes to keep our Mother’s happy.
- 1 loaf of bread (10 cups cubed)
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups onions, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil/shortening
- 3 tbls summer savory
- 2 teas poultry seasoning
- 1 teas sage
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes
- 1 teas salt (see note)
- 1/2 teas fresh ground pepper
- Cube bread and spread on baking sheets and place in 275F oven until dry, about 30 minutes
- Cook potatoes, drain and mash.
- Combine all other ingredients in a microwave safe container and cook at high power for 5 minutes.
- Combine the dried bread crumbs, potatoes and onion mixture in a large bowl and mix together. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste.
- NOTE:If you are going to “brine” the turkey be cautious of how much salt you add to the dressing.
Serving Suggestions: This will stuff a large bird (8kg).