I’ve made this quick bread twice in a week. It is hearty, tasty and a not so sweet accompaniment for your morning coffee. The original recipe called for whole wheat cake and pastry flour and since I did not have any I used a bit less flour and added 3 tbls cornstarch. If you plan on using Greek yogurt you will have to use 1/4 cup Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup water. This loaf is better the second and third day….if it lasts that long.
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour plus 3 tbls cornstarch
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or sugar of your choice
- 2 teas baking powder
- 1 teas baking soda
- 1/2 teas salt
- 1/2 teas ground cardamom
- 1/2 teas ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 small oranges
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup yogurt or any milk
- 3 tbls olive oil
- 2 teas vanilla extract
- Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan and line with parchment paper. Allow the paper to overhang to aid in removing loaf from the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a large bowl whisk together the flours, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamon and cinnamon. Stir in the dried cranberries and the nuts.
- Zest the two oranges and add the zest to the flour mixture. Peel and seed the oranges and place the pulp in a food processor and puree. Add the eggs, yogurt, oil and vanilla and pulse to combine. Pour this mixture into a measuring cup and add enough water to equal 2 cups.
- Pour over the dry ingredients and fold until just combined. The batter will be thick.
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bake 50 minutes. Check on it after 40 minutes and if a skewer comes out clean it is done. If not put it back in for another 5-10 minutes. Let loaf cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Using the parchment paper lift the loaf out of the pan, remove paper and cool completely.